Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Insecure Writers Support Group - March Writing Prompt

Insecure Writer's Support Group

March Writing Prompt


March 1 Question: Have you ever pulled out a really old story and reworked it? Did it work out?

On the first Wednesday of each month a website called Insecure Writer's Support Group invites insecure writers to submit a blog post to be included with the posts of other insecure writers in what they call a blog hop. 

This month, on Wednesday, March first, Ash Wednesday, the question announced as a little prod to help us beyond a blank page is "Have you ever pulled out a really old story and reworked it? Did it work out?"

Even before I try to remember if I've ever reworked any story, much less a really old one, I'd have to figure out how I could define "work out" in relation to anything I've written. I've had things published but for which I've never had a chance of being paid. So what could "work out" mean for me? 

I'd also need to figure out for myself what "really old" means. 

There is one way I pulled out something and reworked it and it worked out, but it wasn't really old. It was very, very new at the time. I needed to write papers in two different graduate school classes at the end of the semester. Rather than dream up two subjects, I tweaked the same subject two ways to satisfy each different class. I may have plagiarized myself, but I won't press charges. 

I guess I will need to admit I have never pulled anything really old out and reworked it. I have, nonetheless, hung on to many of the things I've written all the way back to freshman year of my undergraduate college days and a couple things from high school

I even still have a script for a parody I wrote in high school. The funny thing is it wasn't me who hung onto it. Neither my mom or my dad hung onto it either. My girlfriend's mother hung onto it. She's now my mother-in-law and she gave it back to me years later. I don't think it's really worth reworking. 

Having thought about possibly reworking something I wrote from before, I now might just go grab the three-ring binders from the shelf in the secret hide-away closet and look at those old scribbles again. 

3 comments:

  1. I'd rather get paid for my work, but if I didn't get paid I'd want to at least get recognized for writing that I'd done and actually have someone read it. Maybe that's kind of like what one might call paying their dues for the craft. Keep at what you're doing and the money will eventually come.

    I wonder if I've ever plagiarized myself? My memory is so bad that I probably wouldn't realize that I'd done it if I weren't copying it directly from previously written material. And that reminds me of times I've tried to re-create written work that somehow didn't get saved or was deleted. It's happened more than a few times and doing the second version as good as the first has always been an impossibility for me.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry! I've never been paid for writing, but I keep on doing it anyway. One of these days! We all have those scribbles hidden away, don't we? Just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know what you might find. I've reworked two old stories and both became published books.
    That was cool your mother-in-law hung on to that story for you.

    ReplyDelete