Thursday, February 2, 2017

Happy Woodchuck Day!

This creature, the woodchuck, the groundhog, has a long history of having questions asked. "Did he see his shadow?" "How much wood can he chuck?" I have a favorite question about him. "Should I continue letting him borrow under my woodshed?" I have another. "Should I relocate him since he's keeping the dog barking day and night?"

I've had several close encounters which were not unpleasant, usually watching a woodchuck run away and dive under a woodpile. I don't think I've ever had a encounter with a woodchuck I didn't consider pleasant. Marmots are fun too. Badgers and skunks are another matter. One time I did have the good fortune to see a mother woodchuck and several youngish woodchucks. Unfortunately I didn't have camera.

Anyone else have any stories to tell of woodchucks? It's alright if you call them groundhogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment